Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy is an undergraduate Occupational Therapy course. Occupational Therapy is an area of medicine that steps beyond the ‘prevention and cure’ mantra to the maximal independence of the individual. It focuses on recuperation, giving confidence to people whose disability may be caused by a stroke, a mental illness, a physical and mental weariness because of cardiac or other illnesses or even a hereditary deficiency. Occupational Therapy, also known as ergo-medicine (alternative medicine), is a fast-developing branch of medical science. Its prospects are very demanding in various branches of medical sciences like Neurology, Orthopaedics, Burn, Oncology, Paediatrics, and even in Psychological conditions like mental retardation.
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Eligibility
- The candidates should have passed the qualifying examinations (Academic Stream) After a period of 12 years of study with the following subjects of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Botany and Zoology.
- Some of the reputed institutes conduct an entrance examination for admission.
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Syllabus
Syllabus of Occupational Therapy as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges.
|Sr. No.||Subjects of Study|
|1||Communication for Professionals|
|2||Human Anatomy & Physiology|
|4||Fundamentals of Occupational Therapy I|
|5||Fundamentals of Occupational Therapy II|
|6||Human Anatomy & Physiology|
|7||Fundamentals of Occupational Therapy I|
|2||Pathology & Microbiology|
|6||Pathology & Microbiology|
|3||Work Physiology & Ergonomics|
|4||OT in Medical Conditions|
|5||OT in Surgical Conditions|
|7||OT in Medical Conditions|
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Course Suitability
- Occupational Therapists use purposeful, goal-oriented activities to achieve its goals that are to help the individual to be functionally independent having a satisfactory life.
- Students who are willing to know human growth and development with emphasis on the emotional, physical, psychological, cognitive, socio-cultural and environmental components of various illness and injuries.
- They should also possess skills like problem-solving, good organizational and interpersonal, the ability to communicate well in person and in writing, the ability to work with little supervision and creativity.
- They should be able to evaluate each client’s level of functioning in areas of self-care, work, study, volunteerism and leisure and developing intervention programs.
How is Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Course Beneficial?
- After passing Bachelor of Occupational Therapy, they can provide services to the individuals whose functional abilities are affected due to physical or mental illness, aging process, developmental problems, emotional problems.
- They can have many jobs in fields such as community agencies; healthcare organizations such as hospitals; continuing care facilities, rehabilitation centers and clinics; schools or post-secondary institutions; government or insurance agencies and professional organizations.
- Candidates can find job opportunities in NGOs, rehabilitation centers, health centers and private clinics, mental health centers, old age homes, special schools and government and private hospitals.
- The course is also beneficial for further studies such as M.Sc., M.Phil. & Ph.D. etc.
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Employment Areas
- Charities and Voluntary Agencies
- Community Health Centre
- Mental Hospitals
- Multispecialty Hospitals
- Old Age Homes
- Private Practice & Clinics
- Residential and Nursing Homes
- School, Colleges & Universities
- Social Services
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Job Types
- Occupational Therapist
- OT Assistant
- OT Technician
- Plaster/Manifold Technician
- Private Practitioner
- Rehabilitation Therapy Assistant
- Speech and Language Therapist
- Teacher & Lecturer
Advance Courses in Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- M.Sc. (Occupational Therapy)
After completing Bachelor of Occupational Therapy you can become:
- Occupational Therapist